Top Edge Computing Companies to Know
Who are the top edge computing companies to know and how do they differ in what they offer? Learn more about each company here.
Dec 13th, 2022 12:40pm by
In a previous article, we learned what edge computing is and its benefits and challenges. In this article, let’s look into some of the top edge computing companies and what businesses should look into when selecting an edge computing company.
To put it simply, edge computing is a segregated or distributed computing framework that helps enterprises move their applications closer to the source of data. These sources include servers on the local edge and devices on the Internet of Things concept.
Some of the key and largest drivers of edge computing include the demand by customers for better performance combined with shorter and faster transaction time. If we closely observe, having these applications close to the data source delivers key advantages such as latency and faster insights for businesses to make informed decisions.
Edge computing solutions are usually operational at places the current cloud systems cannot deliver. These are primarily due to the following areas:
- Huge volumes of data
- Constraints around network connectivity
- Network latency
- Data privacy
Top Edge Computing Companies to Know
This section will go through the edge computing companies that provide edge computing solutions.
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services helps in moving components such as storage, data analysis, and data processing closer to endpoints. This will help users deploy various APIs, even if they are not closer to AWS data centers.
Through AWS edge services, users can create applications with high-performance capacity, thereby resulting in low latency and real-time responsive behavior of these applications.
- AWS users can create applications once and deploy them simultaneously on the cloud and on edge.
- AWS edge helps its users explore the vast deployment capabilities in used cases such as hybrid cloud, IoT, 5G, and industrial machine learning.
- AWS infrastructure can help customers to maintain high security and compliance standards from the cloud to the edge. Users can gain a sense of reliability and easily store and process data either by remaining on the edge or being on-premise.
Microsoft Azure delivers managed services, taking Azure’s competencies, such as computing, intelligence, and storage, to the edge. Azure edge is quite suitable for machine learning, edge-to-cloud data transfer, and IoT solutions.
- Azure edge works on a hardware-as-a-service model. This is very lucrative for users as they can procure the appliances from the Azure portal and pay on monthly subscriptions
- Subscribers of Azure Stack Edge can leverage hardware-based AI and ML functionality to analyze the data for gaining actionable information.
- Subscribers can send data files in an optimized way from Azure Stack Edge to Azure cloud while maintaining local access to these files.
Dell Technologies provides an array of storage, computing, and networking technologies deployed on the edge.
There are multiple products offered by Dell, such as Dell Edge getaways, VxRail hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI), and Dell EMC PowerEdge. These components are backed by Intel Xeon processors. Over and above that, the company also provides edge-computing management features.
The solution offered by Dell is used in industries such as manufacturing, retail, healthcare, utilities, and transportation, to name a few.
- It simplifies the edge for its customers. This is done by ensuring that the operational environment on the edge is secured
- Dell Technologies also helps in consolidating and streamlining data management and overall operations.
- The company also empowers businesses to have a strategic approach toward their edge policies. This is further expanded by allowing businesses to assess their environments and formulate effective plans that can give them meaningful insights.
While AWS and Microsoft Azure are the top edge computing companies, there are other players as well, such as ClearBlade, EdgeConneX, Section, and many more.
What Do Edge Computing Companies Do?
The primary objective of edge computing companies is to cater to the basic requirement of organizations that need edge computing by addressing factors such as latency, bandwidth, privacy, and autonomy. All these are key challenges that any edge computing company would address. Edge computing companies can deliver cutting-edge technology in this space by delivering real-time data for AR and VR applications, autonomous/self-driven vehicles, and many other use cases.
Some of these players also help in enhancing bandwidth usage, which is affected due to the presence of IoT devices everywhere. These edge computing companies also create solutions for applications where the connection between the cloud server is lost, but the device can still function due to the connection between the sensors – a self-driven car, to be precise.
Over and above the used case of AR and VR applications, edge computing companies also provide solutions for smart homes, cloud gaming, 5G network, remote monitoring services, and many more.
How to Choose the Best Edge Computing Company for Your Needs
It is very important for businesses to understand the intricacies of selecting an edge computing company. It is very important for businesses to define their goals and requirements. These should be mapped to the right-edge solution to help them achieve these goals. There is always a possibility to deploy multiple edge solutions for a single portfolio of any organization.
Whenever and wherever multiple solutions are deployed, they should be deployed in a way that they complement each other and do not overlap each other’s functions. Businesses should also consider other factors, such as reliability and availability.
Another element businesses need to consider is how these edge-computing companies handle latency. Furthermore, quality of customer service and support mechanism. Lastly, comparing the solution’s pricing and budget is critical.
Conclusion: Edge Computing Companies
Today, there are multiple players who are providing edge computing technology to businesses. Their primary objective in delivering this methodology is to help businesses deliver enhanced customer experience. Furthermore, businesses can access valuable insights that will help them make meaningful and informed decisions.